Thermo Scientific™ CHAPS is a zwitterionic detergent that is especially well suited for protecting the native state of proteins.
CHAPS is a sulfobetaine derivatives of cholic acid. This zwitterionic detergent is useful for membrane protein solubilization when it is important to maintain protein activity. CHAPS detergent is soluble over a wide range of pH (2 to 12) and are easily removed from solution by dialysis because of their high critical micelle concentration (CMC).
- Versatile zwitterionic detergents
- Provide mild but effective lysis of cultured mammalian cells
- Nondenaturing and generally do not inactivate protein functions
- Can be removed from solution by dialysis
- Commonly used for isoelectric focusing (IEF) and 2D electrophoresis
Properties of CHAPS detergent:
- Chemical Name: 3-[(3-Cholamidopropyl)dimethylammonio]-1-propanesulfonate
- Molecular Weight: 614.88
- Detergent Class: Zwitterionic
- Aggregation Number: 10
- Micelle Molecular Weight: 6149
- Critical Micelle Concentration (CMC): 8 to 10mM (0.4920 to 0.6150%, w/v)
- Cloud Point: ≥ 100°C
- Dialyzable: Yes