Gibco™ RPMI 1640 Medium (ATCC modification)
Originally developed to culture human leukemic cells in suspension and as a monolayer
Manufacturer: Gibco™ LSA1049101
Roswell Park Memorial Institute (RPMI) 1640 Medium has since been found suitable for a variety of mammalian cells, including HeLa, Jurkat, MCF-7, PC12, PBMC, astrocytes, and carcinomas.
- Unique from other media because it contains the reducing agent glutathione and high concentrations of vitamins
- Contains biotin, vitamin B12, and PABA, which are not found in Eagle's Minimal Essential Medium or Dulbecco's Modified Eagle Medium
- Vitamins inositol and choline are present in high concentrations
- Modified by ATCC to contain high glucose, low sodium bicarbonate, sodium pyruvate, HEPES, low L-glutamine and phenol red
- Contains no proteins, lipids, or growth factors
- Requires supplementation, commonly with 10% Fetal Bovine Serum (FBS)
- Uses a sodium bicarbonate buffer system (1.5g/L) and therefore requires a 5-7% CO2 environment to maintain physiological pH
Cell Culture, Mammalian Cell Culture
Shipping Condition: Room Temperature
RPMI 1640 Medium is manufactured at a cGMP-compliant facility located in Grand Island, New York. The facility is registered with the FDA as a medical device manufacturer and is certified to ISO 13485 standards.
|Storage conditions: 2 – 8°C. Protect from light.
Shipping conditions: Ambient
Shelf life: 12 months from date of manufacture
|Standard Serum Supplementation|
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.