How We Think Green
- Recycling bins on every floor make it easy for employees to recycle glass, plastic and paper
- A federally-certified outside recycler handles our surplus of IT equipment
- A sweep resulted in 16 pallets of equipment being recycled
- On weekdays, air conditioning and building lights are shut down from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. to reduce energy costs
- During weekends, building lights and air conditioning are automatically turned down all day to save energy
- By the removal of subfloor cable lines, it has freed up space for greater airflow and more efficient operation of air conditioning
- Implemented in late 2005, the Scheduled Shipment Program allows customers to reduce the number of physical shipments without changing ordering cycles
- Formatting data tapes for electronic transmissions has reduced monthly shipments between United States and Canada
How You Can Think Green
- Consolidate orders to lessen the usage of transportation, fossil fuels and greenhouse gas emissions
- Download literature electronically to reduce transportation and paper usage
- Select electronic invoice and request electronic catalogs and literature
Fisher Scientific and British Columbia Ministry of Environment
Electronic Recycling Regulation
Effective July 1, 2012, the British Columbia Ministry of Environment (MOE) will be ensuring that manufacturers and distributors are in compliance with phase 5 of the Electronic Recycling Regulation. Fisher Scientific has partnered with EPRA (Electronic Products Recycling Association) who will be managing our Product Stewardship Program. This regulation impacts scientific and laboratory equipment that is powered (battery or electrical).
Fisher Scientific will be paying the Environmental Handling Fee (EHF) on behalf of our BC customers.
About the Fee Structure
|Portable Electronic Devices||Monitoring and control instruments (scientific lab equipment), including medical devices, < 2kg||$0.40||Electronic pipettes (nonclinical), small handheld meters|
|Portable Electronic Devices||Monitoring and control instruments (scientific lab equipment), including medical devices, between 2 and 10kg||$1.20||pH meters, shakers, hotplates, balances, microscopes|
|Countertop Electronic Devices||Monitoring and control instruments (scientific lab equipment), including medical devices, between 10 and 50kg||$5.50||Centrifuges (nonclinical), autoclaves, baths, titrators, icemakers, analyzers, chromatography equipment, spectrophotometers, incubators, thermal cyclers, evaporators|
|Floor-Standing Products||Monitoring and control instruments (scientific lab equipment), including medical devices, between 50 and 200kg||$31.75||Large floor-model centrifuges, waterbaths, dry baths, gas generators, floor-model incubators|
Some products are exempt. They include but are not limited to: refrigerators/freezers, items more than 200kg, items potentially contaminated with biological fluid and items that are hard wired into a laboratory.
Please note that we will be posting information shortly on where to ship end-of-life products.
RightCycle™: Recycling Made Easy
Introducing RightCycle by Kimberly-Clark Professional — a program that turns hard-to-recycle products in to useful, eco-friendly items.
Help Us Save More on Paper
Fisher Scientific has reduced paper consumption by converting print material to a digital format. More than 950 digital brochures and other literature can now be downloaded. For the 2013-2014 catalog, we are reducing the number of print copies by more than 40%.