Business Sustainability is a key operating principle and one of the three pillars of our Corporate Social Responsibility efforts. We are continually seeking new ways to meet our customers' needs, while being environmentally responsible in the way we run our business.
Product and Facility Highlights:
- Improved shipping containers
- Bright, innovative ideas
- Landfill avoidance — 10,000 metric tons diverted from landfills
- Sustainable manufacturing processes — 3.6 million gallons of water saved
- 100 trees saved each year in our Franklin, MA facility
- On-site solar generation covers 75% of power usage at our Bridgewater, NJ facility
- 12% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions
- 5% reduction in water usage
- 4,700+ tons of waste recycled
Thermo Fisher currently has six buildings that have achieved LEED Certification.
The Fisher Scientific™ channel currently has 13 sites that have become Zero Waste facilities, diverting more than 90% of waste stream from landfill.
Products listed on fishersci.com that qualify as “green” are indicated with a icon. These products meet the following criteria in order to earn the Green Grass icon:
- All products and product claims are substantiated in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 2012 Guides for the Use of Environmental Marketing Claims (16 C.F.R. Part 260)
- Confirmation that the stated product attributes are environmentally preferable to products within the same category
- Assurance that the environmental benefit claims remain substantiated over time
- Receipt of a signed Certificate of Compliance from the supplier stating that all environmental claims on the products (or line of products) sold by Thermo Fisher Scientific comply with the requirements of all applicable state and federal laws governing environmental marketing claims
Thermo Scientific TSX Series High-Performance Blood Bank Refrigerators are the first ENERGY STAR-certified, laboratory grade refrigerators on the market, delivering temperature uniformity and generating energy savings without compromising performance.
Programs offered by the Fisher Scientific channel and supplier partners:
- Kimberly-Clark™ Professional RightCycle™ Glove Recycling Program
- DuPont™ Tyvek™ Garment Recycling Program
Contact your Fisher Scientific sales representative to learn more.
Other ways we help you think green:
- Consolidate your orders to reduce the use of transportation and fossil fuels and decrease greenhouse gas emissions
- Select electronic invoices and request electronic catalogs and literature
- Decrease your quantity of physical shipments without changing your ordering cycles using our Scheduled Shipment Program
- Download literature electronically to reduce transportation and paper usage; more than 950 digital brochures and other literature are now available at fishersci.com
RightCycle — Recycling Made Easy
Thermo Fisher received the 2017 Kimberly-Clark™ Professional Greenovation Award for increasing the amount of disposable gloves and lab apparel we recycle by 41% in our facilities through the RightCycle™ program.
Help Reduce Paper Usage
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, we have one mission: enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Customers worldwide trust the products and solutions available through our premier brands to help them accelerate innovation and enhance productivity.
Together, we are making a difference in the world.
Fisher Scientific and British Columbia Ministry of Environment
Electronic Recycling Regulation
Effective July 1, 2012, the British Columbia Ministry of Environment (MOE) will be ensuring that manufacturers and distributors are in compliance with phase 5 of the Electronic Recycling Regulation. Fisher Scientific has partnered with EPRA (Electronic Products Recycling Association) who will be managing our Product Stewardship Program. This regulation impacts scientific and laboratory equipment that is powered (battery or electrical).
Fisher Scientific will be paying the Environmental Handling Fee (EHF) on behalf of our BC customers.
About the Fee Structure
|Portable Electronic Devices||Monitoring and control instruments (scientific lab equipment), including medical devices, < 2kg||$0.40||Electronic pipettes (nonclinical), small handheld meters|
|Portable Electronic Devices||Monitoring and control instruments (scientific lab equipment), including medical devices, between 2 and 10kg||$1.20||pH meters, shakers, hotplates, balances, microscopes|
|Countertop Electronic Devices||Monitoring and control instruments (scientific lab equipment), including medical devices, between 10 and 50kg||$5.50||Centrifuges (nonclinical), autoclaves, baths, titrators, icemakers, analyzers, chromatography equipment, spectrophotometers, incubators, thermal cyclers, evaporators|
|Floor-Standing Products||Monitoring and control instruments (scientific lab equipment), including medical devices, between 50 and 200kg||$31.75||Large floor-model centrifuges, waterbaths, dry baths, gas generators, floor-model incubators|
Some products are exempt. They include but are not limited to: refrigerators/freezers, items more than 200kg, items potentially contaminated with biological fluid and items that are hard wired into a laboratory.
Please note that we will be posting information shortly on where to ship end-of-life products.