Thermo Scientific™ Sodium azide, 99+%, for biochemistry
Sodium azide, CAS # 26628-22-8, is the sodium salt of hydrogen azide (hydrazoic acid). This compound shows antibacterial and mutagenic activities. It also can inhibit the mitochondrial respiratory chain.
Supplier: Thermo Scientific™ 447811000
This Thermo Scientific brand product was originally part of the Acros Organics product portfolio. Some documentation and label information may refer to the legacy brand. The original Acros Organics product / item code or SKU reference has not changed as a part of the brand transition to Thermo Scientific.
• Sodium azide is a precursor for preparing inorganic azides such as lead azide and silver azide
• One mechanism of action associated with this compound can be related to the inhibition of mitochondrial ATPase, that consequently suppresses oxidative phosphorylation
• Sodium azide is an inorganic compound with antibacterial and mutagenic activities mainly used in biological samples
• Sodium azide inhibits cytochrome oxidase in gram-negative bacteria. However, its antibacterial capacity is more limited in some gram-positive bacteria (streptococci, pneumococci, lactobacilli), presenting intrinsic resistance
• Sodium azide is used for the introduction of an azide group to prepare a desired compound
• It is useful in biochemical approaches as a probe reagent and a preservative
• This compound can be used to synthetize blue fluorescent copolymers and metal phosphonates
|Solubility in water: 420g/L (17°C). Other solubilities: soluble in liquid ammonia,slightly soluble in alcohol,insoluble in diethyl ether|
|0.05% max. (in water)|
|Solubility in water: 420g/L (17°C). Other solubilities: soluble in liquid ammonia, slightly soluble in alcohol, insoluble in diethyl ether|
|99% min. (Argentometry)|
|azide, sodium, azoture de sodium, hydrazoic acid, sodium salt, kazoe, natriumazid, natriumazid german, nemazyd, smite, sodium azide, sodium azide na n3|
Safety and Handling
GHS H Statement
Fatal if swallowed.
Fatal in contact with skin.
Fatal if inhaled.
May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.
Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
GHS P Statement
Wear protective gloves/protective clothing.
IF ON SKIN: Gently wash with plenty of soap and water.
Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician.
GHS Signal Word: Danger
EINECSNumber : 247-852-1
RUO – Research Use Only