Gibco™ RPMI 1640 Medium, powder
Originally developed to culture human leukemic cells in suspension and as a monolayer
Manufacturer: Gibco™ LS31800089
Roswell Park Memorial Institute (RPMI) 1640 Medium has since been found suitable for a variety of mammalian cells, including HeLa, Jurkat, MCF-7, PC12, PBMC, astrocytes, and carcinomas.
- Modified as follows: with L-glutamine, phenol red; without HEPES, sodium bicarbonate
- Contains reducing agent glutathione and high concentrations of vitamins
- Contains biotin, vitamin B12, and PABA, which are not found in Eagle's Minimal Essential Medium or Dulbecco's Modified Eagle Medium
- Vitamins inositol and choline are present in high concentrations
- Contains no proteins, lipids, or growth factors; therefore, requiring supplementation, commonly with 10% Fetal Bovine Serum (FBS)
- Uses sodium bicarbonate buffer system (2.0g/L), and therefore requires a 5-10% CO2 environment to maintain physiological pH
- Powder forms of Gibco cell culture media require sodium bicarbonate supplementation, pH adjustment, and filtration at the time of preparation
Cell Culture, Mammalian Cell Culture
|No Sodium Pyruvate|
|Standard Serum Supplementation|
Not for human or animal therapeutic use. Uses other than the intended use may be a violation of local law. Customers using Gibco RPMI 1640 in a manufacturing process, who have a submission with the FDA, may request a letter of authorization from Life Technologies to reference their Type II Drug Master File (DMF). For in vitro diagnostic use.